I'm very excited to announce that I'm going to be taking over the British Books Challenge for 2013 from the lovely Kirsty at The Overflowing Library! I hope that everyone who has taken part in the past will continue to participate and it would also be fab to see some new people joining us - come on you know you want to!
So what is the British Books Challenge?
The BBC is a reading challenge that was created by Becky from The Bookette in 2011 as a way to encourage people to read more books by British authors. The challenge was taken over by Kirsty at The Overflowing Library for 2012 and this year it's my turn.
The books can be in print or out. Old or new titles. They can be from any genre and for any age range. Becky and Kirsty's blogs both focus on YA books but I read a mixture of adult and YA so you can expect to see reviews of both on my blog. Obviously it's entirely up to you if you want to read adult, YA or children's novels - or a mixture of all three!
If you sign up for the Challenge you will be aiming to read at least 12 books by British Authors (which works out to one a month). For every book you review each month you will get an entry into the draw to win a monthly prize pack. Therefore the more you read the more entries you will rack up. Towards the end of the year I hope to do some kind of special prize draw for those who have gone to the most effort over the year managing to read 50 or more British Books. As prize packs are mainly being sponsored by British publishers I'm afraid that some of the prizes will only be available for UK participants but I hope that international bloggers will still take part. I will try to host a couple of international giveaways throughout the year but it will depend on finances and whether I can afford postage costs for sending out the books.
If you have any questions about the challenge then make sure you check out the FAQ page HERE.
I have to say a massive thank you first to Becky for originally creating the challenge and also to Kirsty for hosting it in 2012. They have both put in an incredible amount of work to promoting British authors and I hope I can do half as well as they did next year. Special thanks to Kirsty for letting me pretty much cut and paste her FAQ and sign up pages!
To Sign Up:
- Write a post or page on your blog linking back to this one. (I find pages work best for me as they are always at the top of my blog)
- In that post/page write a list of the titles you hope to read. If you are not yet sure, just add one or two and update as and when you read titles with hyperlinks to your review. This is become very important when looking at a extra special grand prize draw at the end of the year)
- Insert your choice of buttons onto your sign bar. You will see there is a selection of them below the sign up form at the bottom of this post. Save the one you like onto your computer. Then go to add gadget on your sidebar to put the picture on your blog adding a hyperlink to it of the url address for this post.
- Fill out the Mr.Linky form below, make sure the link you add is directly to your sign up post and has your blog name as the title. Links to anything other than sign up posts will be deleted and only people who have created a sign up post will be eligible to win the monthly prize pack so this is very important!
- And finally, as you review the books on your blog, update your sign up post/ page with a link to your review. Every link up you do will be an entry into each month's prize pack (although some of the prizes may be donated by publishers only willing to send to the UK).
I am absolutely delighted to tell you I have had a huge amount of support and encouragement in the planning of this challenge from UK publishers.
These wonderful publishers / authors have agreed to provide British bookish goodies for prize packs which can be won by the challenge entrants (I will be updating this list as new prize packs are confirmed)
- Curious Fox
- Oxford University Press
- Orion - Indigo
- Random House
- Simon and Schuster
If you are a publisher who publishes books by British authors or British author who would be interesting in promoting their titles through the British Books Challenge giveaways please contact me.
Current Participants in the 2013 British Books Challenge:
Please enter your blog name and the link must go directly to your sign up post.
British Books Challenge 2013 Buttons:
Please add one of these buttons to your sidebar and link it to this sign up post so that more bloggers can join in the fun!